Smokin Jalapeno Bite’s (Otherwise known as ABT’s) is one of the products that I get asked about the most at Buster Rhino’s and by our friends. These delicious appetizers are easy to make and enjoyed by all those that try them. They are a simple and easy solution to Barbecued appetizers, your guests will talk about for a long time.
8 medium sized Jalapeno PeppersSpreadable Cream Cheese (this varies on size of Jalapeno’s)
8-10 Slices of bacon (use any variety you like preferably from a Canadian Source)
2 Cups water (optional)
1 Cup Vinegar (optional) 1 tsp Salt (optional)
Cutting Board Bowl
Small spoon or coring tool Cooking gloves
1) Turn your grill or BBQ on and get your temperature around the 225 – 250 degree range.
2) Take your Jalapeno’s slice them in half from the stem to the tip with your knife. Be careful while doing this step, make sure your knife is very sharp.
3) Remove the seeds and the white pithy lining from inside the Jalapeno using your spoon or coring tool. Start at the stalk end and work to the tip. HINT: if you want these hotter leave some of the white connective tissue inside the Jalapeno.
4) Open cream cheese and spread into the Jalapeno with your butter knife.
5) Wrap the Jalapeno in bacon, this will take about ½ piece for each one and cut any excess bacon from the finished product (or use it).
6) Place on your BBQ (directly) or your grill (indirectly) and let cook for about 45 minutes to an hour. Once the bacon is done to your liking they will be cooked. 7) Remove and let cool down for about 10 minutes before serving. The cream cheese in the centre can be very hot and might scald your tongue if you eat directly from the grill.
Optional Water Bath:
The optional water bath will allow your jalapeno’s to stay a nice dark green while cooking and it can also help to remove a bit of the sting of your Smokin’ Jalapeno Bite’s. After you have done coring the Jalapeno place them in the water bath for up to an hour before going to the next step. Once you have removed them from the water allow them to dry for about 20 minutes to half an hour before spreading the cream cheese into them.
HINTS: Try using flavoured cream cheese, or adding ingredients to the cream cheese you’re spreading. Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket and Chicken are very common additions to this item. Don’t be afraid to experiment – you might be very surprised with the results.