I love lasagne, my family also loves it. There is a family recipe that we have been using for years, anyone who tried it was amazed. This last week I decided to take our amazing beef brisket we produce at Buster Rhino’s and changed up that recipe a bit (well a lot actually). I knew that the Brisket was going to make a huge difference in the flavour of the lasagne as it is a very smoky product that would go wonderfully with the cheese. So with trepidation on my families part (why change a good thing) I made this recipe. For those of you that follow me on Twitter (@BusterRhinosBBQ) you will have read my wife’s reviews, it turned out stunningly. Everyone at the table had seconds and raved about it. I hope you give this a try, and if you do please let me know how it turned out.
1lb of Southern BBQ Beef Brisket (already cooked)
2 jars of Pasta Sauce (your favourite will do, I used homemade)
1 Onion chopped
1 Bell Pepper Chopped
6 oz of Mushrooms, chopped
1-2 Mozzarella balls (from 8-16 oz depending on how cheesy you want it)
1 cup of Romano Cheese
.5 cup of Parmesan Cheese (fresh grated is best)
1 lb of lasagne noodles (this will probably cook more than you need)
1) Cook your noodles according to the instructions. This is usually boil the noodles in salted water with a couple of tbsp of oil (canola or sunflower) for 11-12 minutes until el dente.
2) In a medium sized skillet sweat the onion until translucent, then add mushrooms and green peppers and continue cooking on a higher heat until the onions are caramelized a bit. Deglaze pan (you can use anything for this, I used diet sprite, hey it was handy). Set aside.
3) Preheat your oven:
a. If you are using a standard oven set to 350 degrees F
b. If you are using a convection oven set to 325 degrees F
4) Prepare your cheeses ahead of time. You can of course buy already shredded cheese and it’s prepared for you. I love the time I get in the kitchen so I make it last as long as possible.
5) Take your 1lb of Beef Brisket (Buster Rhino’s Product works great for this) and chop it up into manageable pieces so you can sprinkle it throughout.
6) To assemble coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with sauce.
a. Layer cooked noddles on top of pasta sauce
b. another layer of pasta sauce on top of noodles
c. Sprinkle layer of Onion mix (about 1/3)
d. Sprinkle layer of Beef Brisket (about 1/3)
e. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (about ¼)
f. Lightly sprinkle with Romano Cheese (about ¼)
g. Repeat until done
7) Once you have completed the above you should have pasta sauce and cheeses left, the top of the lasagne should be 1 layer of noodles, with the remaining Mozzarella Cheese, Romano Cheese and Parmesan cheese liberally applied. We love cheese in our house so this is put on fairly thick.
8 ) Put lasagne in your preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a nice brown crust has formed on the top. I turned mine about 2/3 or the way through the cooking time to ensure uniform browning.
9) Remove from oven and let rest, cut, enjoy!!!